Kamoyo


The heart of a weakling   
Kamoyo
 
Hey guyysss! As promised, today I come to you with a poem written in swahili as per so many of you guys' requests. I know the language hits home but I lowkey cringed while writing this because somehow everything sounds a lot deeper in Swahili. That's our language y'all and I have to say, I really am proud of it.  Personally, I think Swahili is quite romantic *insert smiley face*, am I wrong? 

Now, before some of you come at me calling me delusional and stuff I'd recommend you start listening to more meaningful swahili songs (most of them are old by the way) OR reading some poems written in the language. Trust me, this is something you won't regret. If interested in my 'recommendations' drop a comment below, email me, text or reach out to my insta page. Either way,  I'm not that hard to find. 

Today's poem is titled  'Kamoyo'.  Moyo means heart adding the syllable ka- before the word has been used to showcase the diminutive nature of this heart. This poem is written in a traditional style hence becomes easy to follow and understand. It talks about a heart so full of love for a girl it cannot get, a girl so out of reach that it breaks the heart. The persona shows a struggle to reach out despite the challenges. Does this sound like something you'd want to read?

Disclaimer: cringe at your own risk *insert grinning face* :)
hashtag cringeworthy. 

Let me know if you want the English translated version for this poem. Let's put the U in FuN!!
(horrible joke, I know)     :)

Read away....


Kamoyo
 




Kamoyo kangu sifuri, jenereta kuwashia,

‘Kajafunzwa ujasiri, ufanisi nadharia,

Kamoyo ni mashuhuri, mahaba kukazania,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 

Nimekua nikisoma, ya wasomi kusikia,

Na leo yananichoma, niliyoyapuuzia,

Naruka nikichutama, manani kuyatilia,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 

walinipa tahadhari, na watoto wa mjini,

Viuno vyao hatari, vya kufundwa unyagoni,

Ukijifanya hodari, tapata sumu mwilini,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 

Babu alishanambia, kete nicheze makini,

Kamoyo kakajitia, hodari tena yakini

Ilhali kanakimbia, kataka Binti Fulani,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 

Pepo za kusi zavuma, zatetema yangu dira,

Ukata waniandama, nzi kanzidi ajira,

Nafsi waichochoma, mrembo wakanipora,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea 

 

Tumaini lapepea, binti kumkimbizia,

Wapo walomuwezea, vidani kumpatia,

Vyangu vinajiozea, macho kayafumbia,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 

Na bado sijalijua, litakalo kuvutia,

Mchuuzi najifia, natapatapa sikia,

Kheri moyo kutulia, mapigo kudidimia,

Kamoyo kagunaguna, nabaki kujipepea

 



So, what do you think of the poem? Did you cringe or am I the only person who cringes at my own writing?  Should I upload an English version of the poem?

Don't forget to hit the subscribe button so you don't miss out on more amazing content. Yes, you read right (more amazing content). comment below on the kind of things you'd like to read about or follow @poemsforyou._ on instagram for daily updates in a more interactive form. 

If you are new here and would like to read more poems like this, you can start by checking where it hurts, soft spot and colors of depression. However, if you'd like something with a different theme you could start with Binti from Abroad (such a lovely read which I'm sure you're going to love!)


Comments

  1. this is so beautiful Omg! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Kamoyo kagunaguna" .. my new favourite thing in the world

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this poem part of your AfricanTuesday poems? It is such a lovely piece! you should post an English version for those who couldn't understand this. It's too good for one to remain in the dark. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nimependa hili shairi. Big up

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

Soft Spot

BINTI FROM ABROAD